Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Animal Control

Title 7 of the Village Ordinance pertains to Animal Control


  • No “At Large” Animals Permitted-  “At large” means to be off the premises of the owner, and while off the premises, not under the control of the owner or a member of his immediate family over twelve (12) years of age, either by leash or otherwise; but a dog upon the running board or within an automobile of its owner shall also be deemed upon the owner’s premises.
  • Registration-   The owner of a dog more than five (5) months of age on January 1st of any year, or five (5) months of age within the license year, shall annually, on or before the date the dog becomes five (5) months of age within the license year, pay a dog license tax and obtain a license tag. Presentation of evidence is required to show that the dog is either neutered or spayed.  For licensing information, click here.
  • “Leash” means a cord, throng or chain, not more than ten (10) feet in length, by which a dog is controlled by the person accompanying it.


Number of Domesticated Animals:   No more then 3 domesticated animals are allowed in the Village.

  • The owning, harboring and keeping of an unlimited number of domesticated animals in the Village for a considerable period of time detracts from and, in many instances, is detrimental to the healthful and comfortable life for which such areas were created. The keeping of an unlimited number of domesticated animals is, therefor, declared to be a public nuisance. 



      Authority to Impound-  The Peace Officer, Humane Officer or Police Officer shall be authorized to impound any dog on:

  1. The complaint of any citizen of the Village, which is based on reasonable and articulable facts, that in his opinion any dog within the Village is dangerous, mad, fierce, vicious, unlicensed, suffering from rabies or has been bitten by a cat or dog suffering from rabies;
  2. The personal knowledge of the Officer as to any one (1) or more of such facts.


Stray Animals:

If you find a stray animal, contact the Police Department.

If you’ve lost a dog or cat, contact the Police or Sewer Department.  Stray animals are kept at the Wastewater Treatment Plant until taken to a shelter.